This recipe makes a smaller amount of lasagna, perhaps 4 large servings or so. It is time consuming, but SO worth it!
To find everything you need to make this, shop your local Meijer.
- olive oil
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 6 oz pkg fresh sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 6 oz bag fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 3/4 lb (12 oz) ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- whole nutmeg, freshly ground, to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 lb lasagna noodles, cooked according to package (app. 6 noodles broken in half)
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded 6 cheese Italian blend
- Heat a large frying pan drizzled with olive oil over medium heat. Cook the onion til softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and cook til softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook another minute or so. Toss in spinach and wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix ricotta, egg, nutmeg, salt and pepper and zest. Taste and adjust as desired.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a 8-9" square pan with cooking spray. Layers 1/3 noodles, 1/2 ricotta mixture, 1/2 spinach mixture and 1/3 cheese blend. Continue layers ending with shredded cheese. (I also snuck in a sliced tomato into the center layer).
- Tightly cover pan with foil and bake 20 minutes. Uncover and bake another 15 minutes or so, til cheese is bubbling. Let rest a few minutes before slicing.
- I served the lasagna with a side salad and homemade garlic bread, toasted.