WARNING: This recipe is not for the faint of heart or anyone with a heart condition. This soup is hot! This soup will warm you right up though! It is the harissa that makes it so spicy.
Find everything you need to make this ethnic soup at your local Meijer.
- olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 T tomato paste
- 1 1/2-2 T harissa
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups cooked white beans (I used Great Northern)
- couple generous handfuls fresh spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- hot cooked pasta (I used elbow macaroni)
- Drizzle a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat with olive oil. Stir in onion and celery. Cook til softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook another minute or so.
- Increase heat to high; stir in broth, tomato paste, harissa and salt. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in beans and cook another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in spinach and parsley.
- I served the soup over cooked pasta with a slice of Tunisian bread and olive oil for dipping.