Feel free to adjust ingredients to your taste. I like a really brothy soup, so only added a small amount of chickpeas.
Find everything you need to make this at your local Meijer.
- vegetable oil for drizzling pan
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb chicken thighs
- 4-6 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dried chickpeas
- 2 chipotle chiles (from canned in adobo), chopped
- Adobo seasoning to taste
- homemade corn tortillas, cut into strips and fried
- grated medium cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- fresh lime juice
- In a Dutch oven or soup pot heat oil over medium high heat. Cook the onion and carrot til it is softened, about 10 minutes. Increase heat to high and add chicken. Brown lightly.
- Stir in broth, chickpeas, chiles and seasoning. Bring to a boil. Taste and adjust as desired.
- Pour mixture into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high 1 hour. Reduce heat to low and cook another 5 hours, or til chickpeas are tender. Carefully remove chicken thighs to a plate or platter and remove skin and bones. Shred meat and return to cooker to heat through.
- Serve soup garnished with tortilla strips, cheese and avocado and drizzle with lime juice to taste.