I usually make white bean chili with chicken thighs, but didn't have any on hand. I decided to use some pork medallions I had in the freezer. It turned out fantastic! My roommate said he actually prefers this version over that made with chicken.
Find everything you need to make this wonderful wintery dish at your local Meijer.
- canola oil
- 1 lb pork sirloin medallions, diced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 T cumin
- 1 t Mexican oregano, rubbed
- 1 large can chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup dried Great Northern beans
- shredded Co-Jack cheese
- Heat a little oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add pork and cook til browned.
- Add onion and bell pepper and cook for about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic, cumin and oregano and cook another minute or so.
- Add broth and salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Taste and adjust as desired.
- Pour mixture into slow cooker, cover and cook til pork and beans are tender, 4 hours on high (or 6 on low).
- Ladle into bowls and serve topped with cheese. I also made some fresh corn muffins, which went with the chili perfectly.
- Variations: Add cilantro. Add canned green chiles.