My sister Shelley has been talking to Robin and I about her matzo ball soup for years and I finally got around to making some. The matzo meal was on clearance at Kroger and I figured there was no better time to whip up a batch.
This soup made the best broth I have ever had. The flavor was exceptional.
- 1 boneless skinless chicken thigh
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
- garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- matzo meal, prepared for balls according to package directions (Shelley adds a pinch more salt than the package directs)
- Preheat oven to 400°. Sprinkle chicken on both sides with garlic powder and salt and pepper. Roast til cooked through (the breast will be done more quickly). Cool slightly and dice.
- Meanwhile, add broth and veggies to a large Dutch oven and bring to a boil. Add chicken to pan. Note: I didn't add the chicken breast to the broth until about 15 minutes to go in cook time. I didn't want it overcooked. Reduce heat to medium low; add matzo balls and cover. Simmer soup about 40 minutes or til matzo balls are cooked.