I created this soup to use up ground beef and chorizo I had left from last night's dip, and 1/2 a green pepper I had. I also usually have plenty of dried beans on hand.
I just threw in a little of this and a little of that. Add and subtract to your particular tastes.
Find everything you need to make this at your local Meijer.
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 small (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dried red beans, cooked til tender
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 lb ground beef/chorizo blend (1/4 cup each), browned and drained
- Heat a little oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onion and green pepper til softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook another minute or so.
- Stir in remaining ingredients (except potato and meat mixture) and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, covered, for 10-20 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes and meat mixture and simmer another 15 minutes or so, or til potatoes are tender.