I made a huge pot of homemade chicken stock today using several chicken quarters. I used some for this soup, and froze the remainder.
The kidney beans were cooked with chopped bacon for another great layer of flavor.
This recipe is adapted from a recipe in Giada's cookbook.
Find everything you need to make this at your local Meijer.
- olive oil
- 1 T butter
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 3 oz lean or center cut bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 t dried thyme
- 1/4 t dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch hot pepper flakes
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 1/2 cups cooked kidney beans
- hot cooked pasta (I used gemelli)
- freshly grated Parmesan
- olive oil for drizzling (optional)
- Heat olive oil and butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and saute about 5 minutes. Stir in bacon and garlic and cook another 5 minutes. Stir in herbs and spice.
- Increase heat to high; stir in broth and beans. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium low and cover. Simmer 20 minutes or til flavors combine. Remove bay leaf.
- I served the soup over the pasta with Parmesan and a drizzle of oil alongside a buttered hunk of homemade olive bread.