February 23, 2014
This fragrant recipe makes a small batch of soup. Just enough for two!
Find the ingredients for this stew at your local Meijer.
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1/8 t cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 t sweet paprika
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) chickpeas, drained
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- couple handfuls fresh spinach
- hot cooked white rice
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on all sides.
- Stir in onion and garlic and saute til the onions begin to soften. Add spices and saute a minute or so. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, broth and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer; lower heat to low and continue to cook 45 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat. Stir in the spinach and let heat through til wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice.