This was excellent chili! We both agreed. The beans weren't even missed.
To find everything you need to make this, shop your local Meijer.
- canola or vegetable oil
- 1 small beef roast, trimmed and cut into small pieces
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced (seed if desired)
- 1 whole dried ancho chile, ground
- 2 t ground cumin
- 1 1/2 t oregano, rubbed
- 3-4 cups beef broth (depending on how thick you want it)
- 1 small can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 to 3 t vinegar, or to taste
- Heat a Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium high heat. Add a little oil. Season beef with salt and pepper. Brown beef well.
- Stir in onions, garlic and jalapeno and cook over medium heat til onions soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in spices and cook another minute or so.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low; simmer til meat is very tender about 1 1/2-2 hours.
- Stir in vinegar. Taste and adjust as desired.
- I served the chili with homemade buttermilk cornbread.