This is my strict "go to" recipe for macaroni and cheese. It is easily the best I've ever found. It is adapted from a recipe created by Aretha Franklin, if I recall correctly.
To find everything you need to make this dish, shop your local Meijer.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni, cooked al dente and drained well
- 1/2 stick of butter, melted
- 1/2 cup shredded muenster cheese (or your favorite blends of cheeses)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cubed Velveeta cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- hot sauce, to serve
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 2 1/2 qt baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, blend cooked pasta with melted butter. Stir in half and half, 1 1/2 cups of the cheese, Velveeta and the egg. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour mixture into prepared dish and top with remaining half cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake 35 minutes, or til cheese is hot and bubbly.