There are so many variations on this soup, but I like this one the best; it's the easiest to prepare. I am not sure where this ever originated.
Find everything you need to make this soup at your local Meijer.
- 3 T butter
- 4 yellow onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups vegetable stock or broth
- 1 cup fat free half and half
- 1-1 1/2 cups cheese (I used smoked provolone, mozzarella and parmesan)
- In a large pot over high heat, melt butter. Add the onions and cook til softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook a few more minutes. Generously season with salt and pepper.
- Increase heat to high and stir in stock. Bring the mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium low and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes to 1 hour. Note: cooking time depends on how reduced you want the onions to be.
- Increase heat to medium and whisk in half and half, a little at a time. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in cheeses, about 1/4 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition.