This was actually supposed to be ropa vieja, but since we had so many tomatillos to use up, I decided to whip up a stew with them and a chuck roast instead. It was delicious!
To find everything you need to make this, including fresh tomatillos, shop your local Meijer.
- oil (I used leftover bacon grease)
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) beef chuck roast, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1 ground coriander
- Adobo seasoning and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 lb tomatillos, quartered
- water or broth just to cover
- 2-3 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Drizzle with a little oil and brown beef. Stir in onion and cook about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook another minute or so. Add seasonings and stir. Add to slow cooker. Top with tomatillos and water.
- Cover and cook on high 3-4 hours or low 7 to 8 hours, or til the beef is tender. Add potato during last hour or so.
- Carefully remove beef pieces and shred. Return to cooker to heat through.
- I served the stew with homemade sharp cheddar biscuits.