As the holiday season comes to an end, we seem to shift into a slower paced, more relaxed frame of mind, ready for cozy fireplace hot chocolates and warm soul-lifting soups to heat up our bodies and nurture our souls. But, as we all know, soups can be misleadingly high fat, high carb and high calorie. To that end, I introduce to you a delicious, filling and satisfying tortilla soup, made in the blender, one of the best low calorie recipes you will find, perfect for your winter cookbook and healthy living favorites.
Feel free to make variations, but note the difference in calories if you do. Sprinkle with fat free cheddar cheese or serve with a low fat grilled cheese on low calorie whole wheat bread. However you decide to do it, take time to sip slowly and enjoy the luxurious warmth it will give you.
36 Calorie Tortilla Soup
- 3 cups low sodium broth, chicken, beef or vegetable.
- 1 Roma tomato, cut in half
- 1 carrot, cut in half
- 1 celery stalk, cut in half
- 1 thin slice of peeled onion
- 1 peeled garlic clove
- 1 thin slice yellow squash
- 1 thin slice red bell pepper
- 1 thin slice cabbage
- 2 mushrooms
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- dash cumin, to taste
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend for 5 or 6 minutes or until well blended
- Place blended soup into a sauce pan and heat.
- 1/2 cup cooked chicken
- fresh jalapeno - start with 1/2 of it, then add more if desired
- 1/4 cup pitted olives
- 1/4 cup corn, drained
- 2 ounces baked tortilla chips
- 2 tablespoons fat free cheddar cheese
- 2 slices avocado
*Optional ingredients (except cheese, avocado and tortilla chips) can be added to the saucepan and heated with the soup. For cheese, avocado and chips, add to bowl after soup is heated.