Mom made this soup to finally use up the last of the ham. It is such a warm and hearty soup, perfect for a cold winter's day.
The recipe is adapted from the bean mix bag.
Find everything you need to make it at your local Meijer.
- 1 pkg 15 bean mix
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- water to cover
- 2 cups diced smoked ham
- 1 can stewed or diced tomatoes
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 t chili powder, or to taste
- salt and pepper
- Add beans, onion and water to a large soup pot. Cover and cook about 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and cook another 1/2 hour or so.
- The soup was served with a splash of vinegar.