The Winnipeg Jets kicked off their 2013 season this afternoon much like last year - a loss in front of a raucous home crowd that was just happy to see NHL hockey finally.
The Jets got on the board early thanks to Dustin Byfuglien, who played all game like he belonged on the forward line; but the Sens rallied back before the intermission with a goal by Milan Michalek and followed it up in the second with a goal by Chris Neil.
By the time the third period was into play, both teams were showing rink rust. Erik Karlsson put the game out of reach on a key powerplay opportunity with one of the best shots of the game. A final tally by Kyle Turris sealed the fate of the Jets.
- Fans pick Daniel Alfredsson as the boobird victim.
- Paul Postma got the first scoring opportunity for the Jets. Second comes from Kane who nails the crossbar.
- Senators Chris Neil gets 2 for boarding at 5 and change.
- Dustin Byfuglien scores on the powerplay from Enstrom and Ladd at 6:00 1-0 WINNIPEG
- Mark Scheifele is showing he's a bundle of nerves today.
- 2nd Senators penalty is to Wiercioch. Byfuglien is back out on the powerplay. No goals this time though.
- Senators get back on track with a goal by Milan Michalek from Patrick Wiercioch at 16:02. Wiercioch took advantage of a bad attempt by Paul Postma. 1-1 TIE
- Daniel Alfredsson and Nik Antropov take penalties late in the first. Alfie for slashing, Antropov for cross-checking. Undisciplined gameplay will cease soon, or the Sens will be in major trouble.
END OF FIRST PERIOD: Score: 1-1 Shots: OTT - 15; WPG - 11
- Latendresse goes off for tripping at 2:30. Ladd gets stoned by Anderson early in the powerplay.
- Michalek saves one goal then goes off for the fifth Senators penalty, fourth powerplay for the Jets. No goals again for Winnipeg
- Midway through the second, Scheifele has a hard shot from in close but Anderson puts the glove out. Still 1-1.
- Slater goes off at 14:35 for the Jets for hooking.
- Powerplay's over but that doesn't stop momentum for the Sens. Chris Neil puts home a gift of a garbage goal as the puck sits waiting for him. 2-1 OTTAWA
- Period ends with a whimper.
END OF SECOND PERIOD: Score: 2-1 OTTAWA Shots: OTT - 24; WPG - 20
- Teams are showing their layoff now.
- Byfuglien bobs and weaves but can't beat Anderson early in the frame.
- Latendresse's undisciplined play continues. At 6:18, he goes off for high sticking.
- Jets fail to capitalize. Byfuglien looks exhausted.
- Andre Benoit instrumental in breaking up a couple spots as Jets swarm Anderson after the powerplay.
- Erik Karlsson gets the feed from Sergei Gonchar and unleashes a howitzer for the powerplay goal. Yep, last season was not a fluke. 3-1 OTTAWA
- Jets don't show any signs of life as the play winds down.
- Ottawa puts this baby to sleep with Kyle Turris firing a wrister from just outside the top of the right faceoff circle. Pass fed from Methot. 4-1 OTTAWA
- Peter Regin gets the game's last penalty with just over a minute left.
Quote of the Game - Erik Karlsson
"It's always fun to win. I don't think we played the best game we're going to play this year but we came away with the win and right now that's the important thing."