The finish to the Winnipeg Jets season was going to be anticlimactic no matter what way you sliced it. With the league-best Boston Bruins in town, there was bound to be an entertaining game, and that's just what the Winnipeg Jets faithful got.
After being down most of the game 1-0 off the strength of an early Brad Marchand goal, Winnipeg roared back in the waning minutes with an Evander Kane drop-pass put-away. The game soon went to overtime, where Michael Hutchinson was stellar, just as he'd been all game, giving the Jets life going into the shootout where Bryan Little tallied, sending the fans home happy.
Ultimately, this was the opportunity for some young prospects to get into some NHL action before the season expires. Michael Hutchinson got into his second straight game, Carl Klingberg got a rare taste of Jets action and Patrice Cormier had another call-up opportunity.
Before the game started, the Jets gave out their annual team awards. Winners were as follows:
Manitoba Hydro Three Stars Award - Blake Wheeler
Dan Snyder Memorial Award - Bryan Little
Community Service Award - Mark Stuart
- Shotless through the first four-plus minutes means we’re getting a pretty humdrum game.
- Olli Jokinen goes off for the first penalty. 2 minutes for hooking. Bruins don’t get a single shot on net during the PP, Jets get one on the PK.
- Brad Marchand scores off a beautiful dump-inplay on the backhand.
- Period ends with 12 shots by the Winnipeg Jets, 6 by the Boston Bruins. Score is still 1-0 Boston
- Jordan Caron goes off for two just over three minutes in. The call is for hooking.
- Uneventful powerplay for the jets, action continues just as uneventfully as the game gets close to the midway point.
- Torey Krug and Eric Tangradi get match penalties.
- Jets are back in the sinbin. Adam Pardy goes off for hooking.
- Hutchinson is making the case for being up in the big league next year. Fantastic work between the pipes.
- Shots are virtually even as the period winds down and the NHL regular season draws to a close in Winnipeg. Still 1-0 Bruins.
- Winnipeg Jets keep up the pressure on the Bruins but can’t put anything past Chad Johnson.
- Uneventful frame through the first 10 minutes. Shots are now hovering around the 30 mark for each squad. Very even game.
- Jets apply the pressure as time ticks away. Chad Johnson is incredible between the pipes.
- Near goals for Jokinen and Kane as the game draws to the two minute warning.
- Evander Kane picks up a beautiful drop pass from Blake Wheeler to pot a goal. Toby Enstrom picks up the 2nd assist. Game is now tied.
- Shots are now 35-31 in favour of the Jets as we go to overtime.
- Near chances either way in the first two minutes, a couple more in the latter part of OT.
- with 39 seconds left, Olli Jokinen goes off for holding. Not surprisingly, this gets a shower of boos.
Reilly Smith - X
Ryan Spooner - X
Brad Marchand - X
Bryan Little - O
Olli Jokinen - X