A trial will begin Monday, Oct. 21, in the US Federal Courthouse, in
Rockford, IL. The proceedings are open to the public. Mr. Michael
Castronovo's lawsuit is alleging multiple violations of his free speech
rights that happened at the Winnebago County Board meetings, and the
Public works Committee meetings. The charges are related to the
2008 County Board meetings to county ordinace 2-65 change made
to the zoning laws, and personnel matters.
- The defendants are the County of Winnebago.
- Scott Christiansen, Chairman.
- Pearl Hawks, Board Member.
- Kyle Logan, Board Member.
- Dave Tassoni.
The following is an analysis of our constitutional rights under the 1st
- 1st Amendment - People have the right to speak freely without government interference.
- Citizens are given and the press the right to publish new,
- information and opinion without government interference.This
- means that people have the right to publish their own newspapers, magazines, etc.
- Religion - the 1st Amendment prohibits government from establish-
- ing a religion and protects each person's right to practice (or not
- practice) any faith, without government interference.
- 1st Amendment says people have the right to appeal to government
- in favor of or against policies that affect them or that they feel
- strongly about. This freedom includes the right to gather signatures n support of a cause, and to lobby legislative bodies for or against legislation.
- 1st Amendment says that people have the right to gather in public to march to protest, demonstrate, carry signs and otherwise express
- their views in a nonviolent way. It also means people can join and associate with groups and organizations without interference.
The case will be heard on 10/21/2013 - The case number is
11 C 50046 11/5/2012, the sitting Judge is Judge Federick J.
Kapala. Michael Castronovo is alleging that he spoke (8) times in
5/2008. The disbute is over a median blocking his place of business
and the traffice to his home. He runs his business out of his home.
Featured in Rock River Times - Court Cases listed on the Web.