The event, held in Watkins Glen Monday and Tuesday at the Harbor Hotel, honored a 2012 Riesling from Keuka Springs Vineyards in the Finger Lakes as top wine. It also produced "winery of the year" honors for McCall Wines from Long Island's North Fork.
For the first time, the Governor's Cup was presented by a sitting governor, with Andrew Cuomo on hand as part of his latest Upstate tour. The silver chalice is the top prize for an individual wine, while "winery of the year" honors go to the winery with the best overall showing based on the level and number of awards in relation to entries.
This year's competition included 842 wines, 11 hard ciders and 22 spirits from across the state. Keuka Springs' Riesling was voted by the 22 judges the "best white wine," "best overall Riesling" and "best medium-dry Riesling" en route to the top award. McCall's pinot noir was best in its class.
The Wiltberger family has been operating Keuka Springs, located in Penn Yan, for a quarter-century. The McCalls have been growing and selling grapes in Cutchogue, Long Island, since the mid-1990s. They began putting their name on the bottles in 2007.
The overall winners:
• Specialty Wine Champion -- Earle Estates Meadery Raspberry Reflections. The award recognizes consistent quality among the increasing number of wines made from fruits other than grapes, or honey.
• Best Limited Production Wine -- Keuka Spring Vineyards 2012 Dry Roséaward. The award recognizes wines produced with fewer than 100 cases.
• Best Sparkling Wine -- Sparkling Pointe 2008 Blanc de Noirs.
• Best White Wine -- Keuka Spring Vineyards 2012 Riesling.
• Best Rose Wine -- McGregor Vineyard Winery 2012 Rosé D'Cabernet Franc, Estate Grown.
• Best Red Wine -- Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards 2010 Cabernet Franc.
• Best Dessert Wine -- 21 Brix 2011 Vidal Ice Wine.
• Best Specialty Wine -- Earle Estates Meadery Raspberry Reflections.
• Best Spirit -- Finger Lakes Distilling's McKenzie Rye.
"Best of Class" awards go to Double Gold or Gold medal wines in classes of at least seven wines. The "Best of Class" awards:
• Best Oaked Chardonnay -- Billsboro Winery 2012 Chardonnay.
• Best Unoaked Chardonnay -- Harbes Family Farm & Vineyard 2012 Steel Fermented Chardonnay.
• Best Overall Chardonnay -- Harbes Family Farm & Vineyard 2012 Steel Fermented Chardonnay.
• Best Gewürztraminer -- Keuka Spring Vineyards 2012 Gewürztraminer.
• Best Dry Riesling -- Paumanok Vineyards 2012 Dry Riesling.
• Best Medium Dry Riesling -- Keuka Spring Vineyards 2012 Riesling.
• Best Medium Sweet Riesling -- Swedish Hill Winery 2012 Riesling.
• Best Overall Riesling -- Keuka Spring Vineyards 2012 Riesling.
• Best Pinot Grigio -- Damiani Wine Cellars 2012 Pinot Grigio.
• Best Vinifera White Blend -- Bedell Cellars 2010 Taste White.
• Best Cayuga -- McGregor Vineyard Winery 2012 Cayuga White.
• Best Seyval -- Raymor Estate Cellars Seyval Blanc.
• Best Hybrid White Blend -- Tug Hill Vineyards 43 Degrees Lat White.
• Best Niagara -- Lakewood Vineyards 2012 Niagara.
• Best Vinifera Rose -- McGregor Vineyard Winery 2012 Rosé D'Cabernet Franc, Estate Grown.
• Best Native Rose -- Arbor Hill Grapery & Winery Coriesa Hill-Iona Rosé.
• Best Catawba -- Torrey Ridge Winery Catawba.
• Best Cabernet Sauvignon -- Wölffer Estate Vineyard 2010 Cassango Cabernet Sauvignon.
• Best Merlot -- Martha Clara Vineyards 2010 Merlot.
• Best Cabernet Franc -- Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards 2010 Cabernet Franc.
• Best Pinot Noir -- McCall Wines 2010 Pinot Noir Reserve, Corchang Estate.
• Best Lemberger -- Hosmer Winery 2010 Lemberger.
• Best Vinifera Red Blend -- Lamoreaux Landing Wine Cellars 76 West.
• Best Hybrid Red Blend -- Swedish Hill Winery Viking Red.
• Best Fruit -- Baldwin Vineyards Strawberry Wine.
• Best Cider -- Earle Estates Meadery Wort Hog.
• Best Late Harvest Wine -- Paumanok Vineyards 2012 Late Harvest Riesling.
• Best Ice Wine -- 21 Brix 2011 Vidal Ice Wine.
• Best Vinifera Sparkling White -- Chateau Frank 2007 Blanc de Noirs.