As the nation observes a day in honor of the civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr. mail delivery will be delayed by a day and schools and government offices will be closed. However there is no change in the trash pickup schedule because of the holiday.
Allied Waste works a five day workweek regardless of holidays or weather conditions. When a holiday occurs during the week the company must still due all five days of the schedule. When the holiday falls on a Monday, such as Memorial Day, workers receive a three day weekend but only have a one day weekend the following weekend as the Monday through Friday schedule becomes a Tuesday through Saturday schedule.
Allied Waste observes Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day. Any other state or national holiday has no impact on their pickup schedule in Rochester Hills, where Allied Waste is the sole provider of residential trash collection.
Rochester and Rochester Hills in books
- “Rochester and Rochester Hills”, part of the “Images of America” series.
- “Rochester, Michigan Photographs”. Coffee table book with great pictures of Rochester.
- “Earth Eyes, Rochester Hills, Michigan”: surprising stories and hidden secrets.
- “A Pitch in Time”, the story of baseball in Rochester written by Robert Lytle, owner of Lytle Pharmacy.
- “Life’s Leadership Lessons”: 53 anecdotal leadership lessons mostly from people in the Detroit area.