Intro: Wild rice soup counts as a favorite winter soup for many people. This chicken and rice soup recipe calls for wild rice, leftover chicken and plenty of hearty vegetables. It's really one of the best soups ever, because it's so flavorful and it allows you to use your Dutch oven. Read on to learn how to make chicken and rice soup. It's easier than you think!
Want More of the Best Soup Recipes Ever? Read the Articles Below:
- Thanksgiving leftover ideas: Enchilada soup made with turkey and veggies
- How to make creamy potato soup with bacon and carrots in a bread bowl
- Cheese tortellini soup recipe for fall and winter
Wild Rice Soup: A Great Soup Among the Best Winter Soups
Close your eyes and imagine a crisp winter day. The snow falls outside. Your boots sit next to the door, dripping from the trek you just took out to the mailbox, and now, you're chilled to the bone. What do you do?
If you're like me, you reach for your recipe box (or your Internet bookmarks) and dig out your favorite chicken and wild rice soup recipe. Then you pull out the Dutch oven and all the fixins you need to make this hearty winter soup.
You can probably already imagine the smells that come from the Dutch oven as the rice bubbles away in a sea of chicken broth, along with carrot and celery juices, bits of corn and a touch of garlic to stave off that winter cold that has been threatening.
And you can practically taste the cream that you poured into the soup pot to thicken the soup. It's just the right taste contrast for the other wild rice soup ingredients.
Have you noticed your mouth watering and tummy grumbling? Yeah? Yeah, me, too! Then read on to learn how to make this delish wild rice soup with chicken.
Best Soup Recipes Ever! How to Make Chicken and Rice Soup
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 c. carrots, chopped (5 or 6 carrots)
- 1 c. onion, chopped (1 large)
- 1 c. green beans, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 tsp rosemary, dried
- 1/2 tsp herbes de provence
- 1/2 tsp ground chipotle pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 qt chicken broth
- 1 1/2 c. chicken, shredded
- 1 c. corn, frozen
- 1 c. wild rice, not cooked
- 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 3/4 c. cream or half-and-half
- 1/2 tsp salt, kosher
- Get out the Dutch oven and melt your butter in it. Heat it up to medium.
- Drop in the onion, carrots, green onions and red pepper, allowing the veggies to sauté for 5 or 6 minutes until they turn soft.
- Add in the garlic and the spices and allow these ingredients to sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour in the broth, scraping the pan to allow the browned bits to loosen.
- Add in the rice and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cover the chicken and rice soup recipe. Turn the temperature down and let it simmer for 75 minutes. This should allow the rice to become tender.
- Drop in the chicken and the corn.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cream and the flour, stirring the mixture with a whisk.
- Pour the cream mixture into the wild rice soup recipe and cook it until the soup becomes thickened. Takes fewer than 10 minutes. Make sure you stir frequently.
- Add salt to taste.
Tips for How to Make the Chicken and Rice Soup Even Better:
- Garnish with chopped green onions.
- Use leftover chicken to save money and use up this ingredient.
- Add some grated Parmesan or Romano cheese to give this winter soup some extra flavor.
Doesn't this wild rice soup sound amazingly delish? If you know others, who'd like to add to their list of best soup recipes, please feel free to share the URL link for this article via email and social media.