It is summer time and most of us if we have the time are drinking nice cold beers and eating BBQ during our weekends; however, there is a ugly rumor going around that beer can chicken is not a good way to go. There are a couple of reasons for this so let us debunk them one by one.
Myth number one - You should not eat beer can chicken because of the dyes on the aluminum cans
The reality - Author of the Barbecue bible Steven Raicheln did the research for us and found out that the ink on the cans is applied at 500 degrees and that the cooking process for beer can chicken, you will never go above dangerous temperatures or in other words you can't get your grill hot enough to get the dyes back to a gaseous state. However, if it still bothers you and you don't believe in science then there are a number of stores that sell items just for beer can chicken.
Myth number two - Beer can chicken will get burnt most of the time and the inside of the chicken is raw.
The reality - If you follow a proper recipe you will find that you will have a perfectly cooked chicken on the outside and inside. Check out the slideshow and video for some extra proof.
Here is a recipe for beer can chicken to get you going:
Beer Can Chicken
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of your favorite chicken rub
- 1 can of beer ( the darker the beer the better)
- Clean chicken and pat dry
- Rub chicken lightly with rub inside and out with salt, pepper and chicken rub
- Open beer can and pour half into a cup and place chicken over can
- Transfer the chicken to the center of your grill
- Cook the chicken over medium-high, indirect heat with grill cover until internal temp reads 165 degrees (this will take around 1 1/4 hours)
- Remove from grill and let rest for around 10 minutes before carving
Hints to make better
- Make sure that you let the chicken rest
- Some people drink the other half of the beer, but to add flavor to your meal ,before adding spices rub the other half over the entire chicken with the beer.
Enjoy eating your chicken and drinking your beer. Be safe and enjoy.