“Being on a food show and being me, I always kick it up a notch, which means I would always elevate the spice level.” ~Emeril Lagasse
Most people have heard the adage that “variety is the spice of life." Although we know this saying is true, how often do we stop and consider how to make life more interesting and more exciting by “kicking it up a notch,” as Emeril would say prior to adding more flavor to his meal?
Recently, two single moms had coffee and one complained about this very subject—life becoming monotonous—while the other challenged her to begin living out a life of adventure, at least on Saturday afternoons or here and there during the week. With all the demands and stress placed on a single parent’s life, routine can become heavy and numbing, bringing with it boredom and depression. But a positive change can make a whole lot of difference, and there are ways to kick in the spice that will make 2014 your best year.
To begin, take some time away from your normal surroundings and think about the activities that brought you joy when you were younger. This can require as little as a quick trip to Starbucks. Your first challenge is to get in touch with your core self again that got buried underneath commitments and responsibilities. Bringing a journal will help you to dig a little as you answer these questions:
- What did you daydream about as a kid?
- What did you get involved in as a teenager?
- What did you do in your free time as a college student?
- What brings you energy and gets you fired up or puts in “the zone” of the present moment?
- Have you ever written out your own bucket list, and if so, could you scale down a few items and implement a realistic plan for making them happen this year?
Living out your adventures does not have to cost a fortune, but it does require some intentional time and a little planning.
Now that you have some new ideas, write them down. Studies show that people who write down goals or objectives are more likely to achieve them. In fact, even if you forget about them, the very act of writing down your intentions make you subconsciously move toward them. Share what you have written with a trusted friend or two to make them even more real. Who knows? Your friend may become a bucket list partner, and the two of you may wind up living out your dream of taking that hot-air balloon ride or—better yet—go on that trip to London that you have always dreamed about.
In the meantime, try weaving in some fun and simple changes for making your day-to-day life more exciting while taking steps toward your bigger adventures. Why not experiment with a few of these easy options?
- Be bold and try a fabulous new hairstyle
- Try some ethnic foods
- Get a free make over at a department store make-up counter
- Listen to music out of your normal range
- Explore your area by going to a new coffeehouse, vintage store, or museum
- Take a class at a the gym
- Tidy up your home and buy flowers or a kitchen herb garden
- Do something that scares you like starting a conversation with someone new
Be honest and ask yourself how you are doing now that 2014 is already a month in. When you look at what lies ahead, would you like to see a little more excitement and fun? Starting today, spice up your life with small changes that lead to adventurous possibilities now and in the years to come.