October 7, 2013
This checklist compliments the Examiner.com articles Why Kitty Peed on the Carpet; parts 1 and 2
- The Cat:
- Is there a health issue?
- Has the cat been checked by a veterinarian?
- The litter box:
- Is the litter box clean?
- Has the litter box been replaced?
- Is it too small or too big?
- Are the sides too high?
- Does it have a cover?
- Is the litter acceptable?
- Does the litter box smell of cleaning fluid?
- Litter box location:
- Does kitty know where the litter box is?
- Has it been moved?
- Is the litter box easily accessible?
- Is the location appropriate?
- Is the location quiet?
- Does something in the room frightening kitty?
- Is kitty being prevented from getting to the litter box?
- Is kitty’s food near the litter box?
- Is another creature attacking or frightening the cat on its way to the litter box?
- Is another creature attacking or frightening the cat while it is using the litter box?
- Does kitty have to pass something that frightens it?
- Is there a recent history of pain when using the litter box?
- Is there an addition to the family?
- Is kitty new to the home?
- Are there feral or neighborhood cats outside?
- Has kitty’s environment changed?