See also:

Why can't gay actors win Oscars?

The Academy Awards has a history of homophobia when it comes to gay actors
The Academy Awards has a history of homophobia when it comes to gay actors
Getty

Comments

• Leslie Basden 4 years ago

Jodie Foster is lesbian.

• Leslie Basden 4 years ago

Jodie Foster is lesbian. I'm sure there are others, but so far, none that are out.

• Leslie Basden 4 years ago

I see you made that point. Sorry. It's an excellent question.

• Profile picture of Kelvin Lynch
    Kelvin Lynch 4 years ago

:-)

• Brad Di Iorio 4 years ago

Usually the Academy nominates those actors that are perceived to have given a memorable portrayol of someone that was already living or was a fictitous character. I don't think they should be considering gay actors unless they can achieve notoriety for a role well played, which I believe they do now.

• n/a prophet 4 years ago

well i dont see why hollywood is run by satan himself so why dont his children get an award, ummm this is very puzzeling? doesnt he like what his children are doing with each other? they represent his carnation thus one would think he would let them win, very strange how satan doesnt let his children win anything here, well then let us go search for an answer, this can be found @ www.shepherdschapel.com here we will find us the real answer, let GOD be our judge. PEACE

• Chris 4 years ago

You ask a great question, but this article would have been more effective if you had listed some gay actors who were snubbed by the Academy. In the absence of such evidence, a cynic could say openly gay actors haven't been nominated because they simply haven't delivered Oscar-worthy performances. It's not fair to call the Oscars homophobic without a providing laundry list of snubs. I'm gay myself, but you haven't convinced me.

• Zander 4 years ago

The characters played by Hillary Swank in Boys Don't Cry and Felicity Huffman in Transamerica, were not GAY characters, they were TRANSGENDER (Brandon Teena) and TRANSSEXUAL (Bree) characters.