Whether it's you, a friend or a family member, you've probably heard the expression: "I can't stop smoking cigarettes or I'll gain weight." Featured on the Dr. Oz Show, Whoopi Goldberg says she succeeded in kicking her tobacco habit and losing 30 pounds, sending a message to all those who use fear of weight gain as an excuse. We've got the skinny on how Whoopi succeeded in boosting her health and her weight loss here, including the fat-blasting chocolate morning shake that's a key part of the diet.
When it comes to weight loss, Whoopi weighed more than 200 pounds when she decided it was time to kick her carb cravings. The plan she used was created by celebrity chef Rocco DiSpirito. It's detailed in the book "The Pound a Day Diet: Lose Up to 5 Pounds in 5 Days by Eating the Foods You Love" (click for details).
How it works: The diet is styled after the Mediterranean weight loss plan. It's specifically tailored to make it low-carb as well as low in calories to accelerate weight loss. Dieters limit their intake five days a week, then enjoy more food on weekends. Included are menu plans and fast, easy tasty recipes.
“It’s a chef’s point of view that’s been missing in the world of health,” DiSpirito said to ABC News. “These recipes are easy to make and they taste great.”
So how does the diet succeed in taking off five pounds in five days? The celebrity chef describes the process as transforming your body into a fat-burning machine. Phase one provides you with six mini protein-rich meals that equal 850 calories daily. (You get more calories on weekends). Phase two gives you more food and teaches you to maintain your success.
Featured in the diet: A six-ingredient morning chocolate shake (see the recipe below).
Dr. Oz expressed his joy and pride that Whoopi has stopped smoking. She began when she was only 12 years old. What motivated her to stop: A video showing two young children with Cystic fibrosis, which makes it hard to breathe. She recognized that although the children couldn't change their disease, she could change how smoking impacted her own lungs. Wrote Dr. Oz in a blog: "Every new moment provides you with a chance to accept the challenge to make your life better."
High-Protein Chocolate Breakfast Smoothie
Yield: Four 16-ounce servings
- 6 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husk powder
- 2 scoops fiber powder (such as ReNew Life Triple Fiber)
- 2 scoops protein powder (such as Daily Benefit)
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark unsweetened cocoa powder (such as Hershey’s
- Special Dark)
- 24 packets monk fruit extract (such as Monk Fruit In the Raw; optional)
- 4 scoops unflavored egg-white powder (such as Jay Robb)
- 2 cups crushed ice or small ice cubes
1. Put the water, psyllium husk powder, and fiber powder in a blender and blend on high until smooth and slightly thickened, about 1 1⁄2 minutes.
2. Turn the blender off and add the protein powder, cocoa, and monk fruit powder, if using; blend until smooth, about 30 seconds, and turn off the blender.
3. Add the egg-white powder and blend until smooth, about 10 seconds, then add the ice and blend until smooth, about 30 seconds.
4. Pour the smoothie into 4 pint-sized glasses.
Tip: Add a pinch of salt if your diet can afford the sodium—it will really draw out the full flavor of the cocoa.
Per serving: 198 calories, 2g fat (.25g sat), 0mg cholesterol, 488mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate, 8g fiber, 30.75g protein
Nutrient content claims: Reduced calorie / Low fat / Low saturated fat / Cholesterol free / No added sugar / High fiber / High protein / Gluten free / Trans fat free