Skip to main content

Who Owns Who in the Automotive Industry?

Who_Owns_Who_Scion_Toyota.jpg

In this modern business world of international consolidation it is sometimes hard to keep track of who owns which car marque these days.  Here is a complete list of the current car companies and their perspective owners.  Click on the highlighted links to see car reviews and other stories pertaining to the cars

BMW currently owns BMW, Mini, and Rolls Royce.

Bentley is currently owned by Volkswagen.

Daimler AG owns Mercedes-Benz, Maybach and Smart.

The Fiat Group now owns: Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Fiat, Lancia and Maserati.  They also own Chrysler and Dodge plus a 20% share in Jeep.

Ford Motor Company now owns Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Volvo and a 13.4% share of Mazda.

General Motors Corporation owns Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC. They also have a controlling interest in Daewoo whose cars are currently only available in Viet Nam and South Korea. GM also owns Opel and Vauxhall in Europe, and Holden in Australia.  Pontiac is said to be discontinued for now.  

Honda owns Honda, and their upmarket brand Acura.

Hyundai owns Hyundai and the fellow Korean marque, Kia.

Hummer is still owned by GM and they are considering offers to sell the brand.

Koenigsegg is a Swedish super car manufacturer.

Lotus is currently owned by Malaysian car company Proton.

Mazda owns 86.6% of itself with Ford owning the other 13.4%.

Mitsubishi is responsible for 100% of their own company, a rarity these days!

Pagani is an Italian car company who makes the Zonda supercar.

Peugot the French car maker also owns Citroen.

Porsche owns their own brand as well as a majority stake in Volkswagen.

French company Renault owns Nissan who also makes their upscale brand Infiniti.

Saab is now owned by the Dutch car company Spyker. 

Saturn is owned by GM, but production has stopped and assets are being liquidated.

Suzuki took over Daewoo jointly with GM but now only uses their manufacturing facilities.  They have now gone to engineering completely new cars rather than rebadging Daewoo's with cars like the new Suzuki Kizashi. 

Tata Motors is an Indian car company who currently owns Jaguar and Land Rover.

Tesla is an American electric car company based in the Silicon Valley area of California.

Toyota Motor Company owns Lexus, Toyota, Scion, Daihatsu and Hino Motors, plus a share of Isuzu, and a majority stake in Subaru.

Volkswagen currently owns Audi, Volkswagen, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, SEAT and Skoda.

Here is a list of The Most Expensive Cars in the World plus a Slideshow.

Here is the inside scoop on Buying a Car At Auction.

Comments

  • Ash 4 years ago

    Mazda recently SOLD-Floated New Shares ($2 Bil) late last year, Now FORD owns 11% of Mazda not 13.4%.

  • Bhaskar 4 years ago

    VW owns Porsche. Not the other way round

  • tom 3 years ago

    porsche owns about 53% of VW i think your find

  • JB 4 years ago

    What about "Peugeot" biggest car seller in Europe?

  • Anonymous 3 years ago

    old article - not up to date - and many wrong statements as of May 30, 2011.

  • Profile picture of J3rrYcid
    J3rrYcid 2 years ago

    Though this article is already 2 years old, I was still quite surprised over some of the car ownerships. The biggest car brands are actually owned by companies that I thought were inferior and there are brands that I have ever even heard before. It would be good to have an updated list that is accurate to 2012.
    Thomas - http://www.carid.com

  • Profile picture of Kent Clarke
    Kent Clarke 2 years ago

    Some interesting stats. I'm sure they need updating now, I've heard about some new changes that took place recently. Its also very interesting to find out that those "BIG BRANDS" are actually owned by the smaller ones. Its all business I guess. Also car sales are down, consumers tend to be buying more car accessories to help keep and maintain their vehicles. So I guess that those brands that are struggling can look into that direction and see how they can improve.
    http://www.mautostore.com

  • musa 1 year ago

    woow vw is the best