The first generation of the 21st century is the Millennial Generation. Born after 1998 this generation is still developing a personality. As a generation is being shaped there is a struggle for the name by which they’ll be referred.
The term millennial generation originally referred to what is now called generation Y, the parents of the millennial generation. Those encouraging the generation Z moniker say they are simply following an alphabetic progression started with Generation X and generation Y. Critics of the term say it is insulting because three Z’s normally indicate sleepiness so proponents of this term are calling it a generation that is lazy.
Early indicators point to this as being one of the most optimistic generations to ever live. Many believe this is a generation that will address social and ecological issues much differently than their predecessors. Obviously it is too early to determine if this is correct but, if true, it would certainly dispel any legitimacy attributed to calling them generation Z.
© Max Impact, used with permission.
Learn more about today’s generations:
- Builders / Traditionalists, also known as the greatest generation, born before 1944
- Baby boomers, sometimes relabeled the sandwich generation, born between 1943 and 1964
- Generation X, born between 1961 and 1980
- Generation Y, sometimes referred to as the millennial generation, born between 1977 and 2000
- Millennials, sometimes referred to as generation Z, born after 1998
- “Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Boomers, Gen Xers, and Gen Yers in the Workplace”
- “Because I Said So! ”: The Truth Behind the Myths, Tales, and Warnings Every Generation Passes Down to Its Kids.
- “When Generations Collide”: Who They Are. Why They Clash. How to Solve the Generational Puzzle at Work.
- More books about generations.
- For viewing: Thousands of vintage old television program and classic movies at Amazon Prime. Get a free trail