1. Life
  2. Pets
  3. General Pets

Who does Prop B affect - debunking the myths and rumors about this legislation

See also

Prop B was passed by the voters of the State of Missouri to protect dogs. Currently, legislators in the House and Senate are meeting and a large number of them want to reverse this. It is imperative we let our representatives know we will not stand for this.

Prop B will not affect your grandfather who owns a cattle farm. Prop B will not affect your neighbor who is complaining because she wants to continue to breed her pomeranian once a year.

Prop B will not affect ANYONE except puppy mills. Furthermore, to debunk a few ridiculous rumors, Prop B will not shut down a puppy mill because there is a kernel of food caught in a water bowl. Prop B simply requires these hell-holes for animals require basic necessities such as: food, water and veterinary care.

In most situations, commercial breeding operations will have to upgrade the space the dogs are allowed. Currently, in Missouri's 3,000+ puppy mills, dogs live in crates they cannot stand up, turn a circle or move at all. Prop B will require these dogs be able to turn around in one circle. That is all. That isn't even humane and yet there is opposition to that!

While Prop B passed through the ballot initiative process, several measures to strip key provisions of Prop B have been introduced in the Missouri legislature. Please contact your Senator and Representative in Jefferson City to let them know this measure needs to be preserved and the process by which it was passed should be respected.

For more information, you can find a list of bills that have been introduced and talking points at the Missouri Alliance for Animal Legislation.

Comments

OMG, you are such a liar. "
    Currently, in Missouri's 3,000+ puppy mills, dogs live in crates they cannot stand up, turn a circle or move at all. Prop B will require these dogs be able to turn around in one circle. That is all. That isn't even humane and yet there is opposition to that!"
    You lie about how licensed breeding facilities house their dogs. You also lie about what Prop B says.
    It is horrendous lies like the ones you just told that passed Prop B. I am outraged that the examiner printed your lies.

• anonymous 3 years ago

What you describe as current conditions in licensed kennels does not exist. Dogs unable to stand up or move? You expect any person with half a brain to believe that? Is that the kind of lies that passed Prop B?
    So Prop B requires that dogs can turn around in one circle, that's all? You lie. Prop B requires 108 square feet, the size of a small bedroom, for three tiny Chihuahuas. How is that just barely enough room to turn around?

Some more lousy incorrect information given to the Kansas City and St. Louis voters. If the dogs haven’t enough room to turn around….how in the world do they breed? Prop B DOES make it a criminal law if even 1 piece of food is found in the water bowl. With all the lies that were pushed at the Kansas can understand why you voted that way. I had just hoped you could tell the difference. The rest of Missouri voted to have steak on their table in the future. Dog breeders were out in sub zero weather with 12 plus inches of snow on the ground to take care of their charges. The law does NOTHING for those who are NOT licensed so what have you gained???? Let Kansas City and St. Louis live by these laws and pull all the meat from their grocers coolers and leave the agricultural counties alone!

• Profile picture of Sarah Estlund
    Sarah Estlund 3 years ago

People, once again all I can say is, I have been to puppy mills, I have seen them first hand. And YES this IS the way things are at commercial breeding facilities (the ones I have been to.)

Why are you all posting anonymously? I know your information, but why not let everyone else know who you are, are you embarassed?

Sarah, you cannot judge all breeders by the two you have seen. The vast majority of licensed breeders have clean, sanitary, well-maintained facilities, with plenty of room for the dogs’ comfort. Current regulations require many things beside food, water, sanitary housing, vet care, exercise, etc. Also required: proper ventilation, bedding in winter, solid resting surface if on coated wire, grass must be kept trimmed around the kennel, no accumulation of debris around kennel, all kennel surfaces impervious to moisture, no cobwebs (inspectors hate cobwebs!), housing in good repair, specific storage of food and bedding, etc.
    Maybe you can understand it better this way. I have been to three shelters. In every one of them, I saw dogs shivering on wet concrete, spilled food mixed with feces molding in the corners of the pen, obviously sick dogs, filthy floors, dirty water bowls, workers sitting behind a counter doing ‘nothing’ while dogs needed attention, cat litter boxes that stunk, etc. Is this typical of shelters? I hope not. I really believe there are a lot of good, caring shelters. These 3 were NOT! I am intelligent enough to know that even though I have NEVER seen a good shelter…ever….that every shelter is independent, just as every kennel is managed independently, and cannot be judged by my limited experience.

• bequalsbroke 3 years ago

As a licensed breeder, I allow my dogs as much room as a the local animal shelter....actually more, especially counting my outside runs. If Prop B does pass the way it is, I will no longer have big enough areas inside my buildings and will have to get rid of half of my dogs as I cannot afford to build on. Yet, with Prop B, the local animal shelter is exempt from this expansion of space for their dogs. No kill shelters don't just keep dogs a few days, they keep them for months. So are we now turning the shelters into legal mills?