The baby boomer generation is the largest of all past and present generations. Born to the returning soldiers from World War II and the war in Korea this generation is more populous than the preceding builder generation and the two generations to follow.
Marketers discovered baby boomers could drive entire markets by just connecting to them through the new media of television. They still move the international marketplace with their buying power and their general acceptance of new products, including new technical products designed to make life easier.
Born between 1943 and 1964, the generation is known for having a free spirit and dedication to social causes. Some break the generation of the two smaller groups – older boomers born before 1955 and younger boomers born in 1956 and later. The reason for this separation are the major events of the early 1960s. Historians say the assassinations of major political leaders and the risk of draft to the Vietnam War did not impress the second half of the generation as much as the first.
But the entire generation was shaped by entertainment and inventions that included Elvis Presley, the Beatles, the Motown sound, rock ‘n roll and 24 hour on music radio stations. Air-conditioning, microwave ovens, FM radio and most importantly television provided a common fiber shared by all baby boomers.
© Max Impact, used with permission.
Learn more about today’s generations:
- Builders / Traditionalists, also known as the greatest generation, born before 1944
- Baby boomers, sometimes relabeled the sandwich generation, born between 1943 and 1964
- Generation X, born between 1961 and 1980
- Generation Y, sometimes referred to as the millennial generation, born between 1977 and 2000
- Millennials, sometimes referred to as generation Z, born after 1998
- “Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Boomers, Gen Xers, and Gen Yers in the Workplace”
- “Because I Said So! ”: The Truth Behind the Myths, Tales, and Warnings Every Generation Passes Down to Its Kids.
- “When Generations Collide”: Who They Are. Why They Clash. How to Solve the Generational Puzzle at Work.
- More books about generations.
- For viewing: Thousands of vintage old television program and classic movies at Amazon Prime. Get a free trail