Want a brighter smile without using an abrasive treatments? Try an oil mouthwash. This is a natural method to achieve and maintain pearly white teeth. Using oil as a mouthwash is an Ayurvedic technique that is traditionally called oil pulling.
An oil mouthwash draws toxins from the teeth, gums, throat, tongue, and mucus membranes of the mouth. This gentle technique will leave you with whiter teeth, stronger gums, and fresher breath.
Various medical studies have cited the mouth-body connection; meaning that your oral health and hygiene is directly linked to the health of your entire body.
Similar to reflexology, certain points on the tongue correspond to certain organs and body systems. Improving the health and hygiene of the tongue using an oil mouthwash can, therefore, improve your overall health.
How To Do Oil Pulling
Oil pulling is best done on an empty stomach to get the best results. For this reason, most people choose to do it as part of their morning routine. First brush your teeth. Then take 1-2Tbs of coconut oil or safflower oil and swish in your mouth as you would a mouthwash. Continue to swish for 15 to 20 minutes. It takes this amount of time for the oil to draw out any toxins.
Be sure to spit the oil out into the garbage. Discarding the oil into the sink can cause your plumbing to clog. Brush your teeth again. Follow-up by drinking a tall glass of water.
Top 5 Tips For A Brighter Smile
1. Brush and floss immediately after eating. If this is not a convenient option, to remove any potentially staining residue from your meal.
2. Use a straw to drink beverages that can stain your teeth such as coffee, tea, and red wine.
3. Snack on crunchy foods such as carrots and apples. The extra chewing required for these foods helps remove plaque build up.
4. Brush teeth with baking soda. It naturally oxidizes stains on tooth enamel. It is also very inexpensive.
5. Visit the dentist every six months to have your teeth professionally cleaned.
Atlanta locals can stay connected to the the latest in healthy beauty by visiting the wellness department at Sevananda Natural Foods Market located in Little Five Points. also, visit MsToi.com for more healthy beauty tips to incorporate into your beauty routine.