A White House firecracker incident that occurred on Monday just hours after the Navy Yard shooting rampage sent officials scrambling to respond, and now a suspect has been arrested for tossing the firecracker, it was reported in the Christian Science Monitor on Sept. 17.
The suspect in the White House firecracker tossing incident was identified as Alexander Sahagian. He likely will be charged with throwing projectiles, authorities said.
The White House firecracker incident occurred on Monday, when tensions were already at a peak around the U.S. capital because of the shooting spree earlier that day at the Navy Yard, which claimed 13 lives, including that of the suspected shooter, Aaron Alexis, a 34-year-old military contractor from Texas.
In the White House firecracker incident, the suspect allegedly tossed a firecracker over the White House’s north fence. The area was immediately sealed off by uniformed agents, and journalists who had been in the driveway near the West Wing were ordered inside the building.
Bystanders took to social media, where some erroneously reported hearing shots fired at the White House. The normally bustling Lafayette Park, opposite the White House, was temporarily closed.
According to the Inquisitr, Sahagian, 52, first lit the firecracker and then tossed it over the White House fence. Witnesses said that Secret Service agents quickly tackled the firecracker-tossing suspect.
Although a motive isn’t clear, some were left speculating whether the White House firecracker incident was related to the Navy Yard shooting, or perhaps just a foolish prank.