A White House firecracker left the U.S. capitol on high alert this week, as a described “shooting” was heard this week, with some witnesses even taking to Twitter to say that they had heard gunshots near the White House. The suspect is currently in custody. Particularly after the deadly Navy yard shooting this week, the Secret Service’s reaction to the potential threat was sudden and effective, the CS Monitor confirms this Tuesday, Sept. 17.
The White House firecracker gave government and law enforcement officials quite a scare this Monday when a man decided to throw firecrackers over the fence, causing them to spark, pop, and go shooting off in several directions. The U.S. Secret Service said the demonstration may have been a response after the U.S. capitol suffered a fatal shooting that led to the deaths of 13 people.
Photos of Secret Service members can be seen handcuffing the firecracker-throwing suspect, closing the northern area off and bringing him into custody. All press journalists were escorted to the West Wing while the issue was handled, the statement continues.
The White House was already on high alert following news of the shootings earlier this week, and the public was clearly in a heightened state of mind as well, as some witnesses made 911 calls and took to Twitter to say they heard “popping sounds … gun shots … and shooting noises” in D.C., all caused by the firecracker display.
"There have not been shots outside the White House," said Secret Service spokesman Ed Donovan. Such a confirmation put any threats to rest.
The suspect in custody has been formally identified now as Alexander Sahagian. He was arrested on a charge that is expected to be throwing projectiles, added one White House law official. The man can be seen being apprehended before being taken away.