White Elephant gift exchanges are common this time of year, from office parties to family and friends gatherings. The term “white elephant” comes from a story that the kings of Siam would give a gift of a white elephant to those that they deemed to be “obnoxious”, which in turn would ruin the recipient by the cost of the maintenance of the animal. Today, the term is used to mean an object or gift considered to be without value.
White Elephant gift ideas can still be tricky to come up with, though. What do you give that will provoke the most laughter from others in the group? Below is a list of ideas that will fit any budget:
White Elephant Gifts $10 - $30
- Bacon vs Tofu Action Figures – bendable action figures that you can pit against each other. Who wouldn’t want these?
- Mr. Bacon’s Big Adventure Board Game – speaking of bacon, how about a little board game?
- White Elephant Teapot – Nothing says “white elephant” like a…white elephant…
- What Does the Fox Say? by Ylvis -- A children's book version of that catchy song...cause whats better than hearing it a million times than getting to read along, too?
- A Christmas Story Leg Lamp Nightlight – An 8 inch tall Christmas Classic
- National Lampoons Christmas Vacation Moose Mug – so they can enjoy their eggnog in a Moose Mug just like Clark Griswold and Cousin Eddie
- Ninjabread Cookie Kit -- Almost everything they’ll need to make 20 ninja cookies
- Undead Fred Zombie Cookie Cutters – they’re sure to be the life of the party
- Awkward Family Photos 2014 Day-to-Day Calendar – full color photos of the most uncomfortable family photos ever taken.
- Passive-Aggressive Notes 2014 Day-to-Day Calendar – sugarcoated with smilies!
- Why Grizzly Bears Should Wear Underpants – the follow up to How To Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You
- How I Met Your Mother Duck Necktie – Challenge accepted
- Nerf Flash Drive Gun – 2 GB of fun
- 90s sitcoms series sets – Who wouldn’t want to go back to TGIF nights?
- Grumpy Cat "No" Collar Plush
White Elephant Gifts under $10:
- Microwavable S’mores Maker – For when you just can’t wait to go camping again
- The official “BS” Button – call people out without having to say a word
- Fake Parking Tickets – be careful, they might just give this gift back to you
- Flingshot Flying and Mooing Cow – it flies and moos, what more can I say?
- Marvel Thumb Wrestlers – includes heroes and villans!
- Holiday Rubber Ducky set – 12 rubber Santa, Snowman, and Reindeer duckies
- 100 Dollar Bill Toilet Paper – genuine copy of a $100 bill
- Talking Toilet Paper Spindle – endless hours of comedic fun as it plays personalized messages when used
- Runny Nose Shower Gel Dispenser – squeeze the nose and gel oozes out the nostril
- Recycling Bin Mug – Microwavable and dishwasher safe
What was the best White Elephant gift you ever received? Or the worst one?