Whiskas cat food and their Temptations brand treats are coming under fire by pet owners who say they made their cats very ill, and in some cases died after eating the food. Some complaints mentioned the food was moldy or infested with maggots. Almost all the complaints said after their cats ate the food or treats they began to vomit, became lethargic, and cry in pain. Here’s one sad story:
Twice, my cat became ill and was near death. First, it was vomiting. Then, she became catatonic. She wouldn't eat or move, and her breathing was so labored. She didn’t eat for a week. The first time this happened, the vet's tests were inconclusive so I didn't know what caused it. Was it an allergic reaction to household products? Pancreatitis? There were too many possibilities, but the second time it happened, I realized that she got sick right after eating the WILD Salmon cat treats (other cat treats, she had no reaction to).
Whiskas hasn't commented on the complaints and there hasn’t been any definite connection made between the food and the sick cats. Right now the evidence is simply anecdotal but the fact there are over 30 cats now that became ill or died and all did so only after eating Whiskas food is something to be concerned about. It is suggested that pet owners act with caution when buying Whiskas foods-check the packaging thoroughly for any damage, and when you open the food, check it for spoilage. If you find any, report it to the company right away. You should do this with any food or treats you buy for your cat (or dog or any other pet) anyway. As far as treats go, they are basically junk food for cats, so you’re probably better off not giving any at all.
Has your cat become ill after eating Whiskas food or Temptations treats? Have you bought either and found it was moldy or otherwise spoiled? Please share your experiences with us!