It's that time of year again! Garden centers, nurseries, and even big box retailers are starting to put up their seed displays. Here in Detroit, we're in zone 6, which means that we can start seeds for onions, cabbage, cauliflower, begonia, geranium, heliotrope, impatiens, and petunias indoors during the next few weeks.
With that in mind, here are a few places to find a good selection of seeds for your vegetable garden in Metro Detroit.
- Bordine Nursery (two metro Detroit locations) carries Burpee, Thompson & Morgan, and Hart seeds.
- English Gardens ( seven metro Detroit stores) carries a good selection of Thompson & Morgan seeds, as well as one of my personal favorites, Botanical Interests.
- Home Depot (click here to find locations in metro Detroit) carries Burpee and Ferry-Morse, including organic options from both lines.
- Lowes carries Ferry-Morse and Burpee seeds.
- Target (click here for metro Detroit locations) carries Sean Conway seeds.
- Walmart (click for locations) carries their American brand of vegetable, herb, and flower seeds.
Of course, there are also several very good seed catalogs, and I'll focus on them in another article. Do you have a favorite place to buy seeds in the Detroit area? Share it with us!