Multiple viruses are common during the winter season. These can be common etiological agents present in the common cold.
- Corona virus.
- Para influenza.
- Cytomegalovirus is linked to recurrent sore throat and brain cancer in 50% to 80% of cases.
EBV and related disorders such as cancers.
EBV is a gamma-herpes virus. It belongs to the human herpes virus family. 75% of the population may be infected prior to the age of 5. It persists for life and is transmitted through mucous membranes. Infected people may develop subclinical asymptomatic illness that may lead to mononucleosis.
Tumors such as nasopharyngeal and gastric carcinoma, Hodgkin and or Burkitt lymphomas, acute lymphoblastic leukemia in pediatric and other tumors may also be due to EBV. Nasopharyncheal cancer is a malignant cancer that spread quickly to the lung, bone and liver within 4 years.
Published in the journal cancer causes and control in 2012, infectious mononucleosis caused by EBV may be at the initiation of the clinical course of breast cancer or its exacerbation.
- 2009: biochemical and biophysical research communications.
- 2011: current opinion in immunology.
- 2012: clinical lymphoma myeloma and leukemia.
- 2012: biochemica et biophysica acta.
- 2013: cancer letters.