When looking for a job you may want to consider how healthy your new position will be. A survey from CareerBuilder.com identified the jobs that historically have the highest weight gains.
The job where someone is most likely to gain weight is administrative assistants. According to the survey 69% of admins will gain weight at their job. The survey cites two reasons for the typical weight gain. First this can be a very stressful position. Especially when it comes to multiple phone calls at the same time. The second reason given was the amount of time spent behind a desk, particularly when there is overtime.
Engineers have the second greatest battle of the waistline. Fifty-six percent will gain weight at work, again due to both stress and time spent sitting.
Third place goes to teachers and instructors in K-12 schools. Although they stand much of the day they spend long hours grading papers and performing other tasks behind a desk.
The balance of the list is:
- 51% of nurse practitioners and physician’s assistants
- 51% of IT managers and network administrators
- 48% of attorneys, judges, and others in the legal profession
- 45% of machine operators and production workers
- 39% of scientists
Of this list the highest annual growth in jobs according to Michigan Works is typically administrative assistants. Therefore be sure to exercise if you choose this career path.
© Max Impact, used with permission.
Top advice during your job search
- “How to Find a Job”: When There Are No Jobs: a necessary job search book and career planning guide for surviving and prospering in today's hyper competitive job market.
- “301 Smart Answers to Tough Interview Questions”.
- “Your Social Media Job Search”: Use LinkedIn, Twitter, and other tools to get the job you want!
- “101 Weird Ways to Make Money”: Unusual jobs that produce good pay with little competition.
- “Life’s Leadership Lessons”: 53 anecdotal leadership lessons. Paperback, Kindle, Apple or Nook.