Most headaches are not considered serious. Although, a simple headache accompanied by other symptoms can be considered a serious condition. If you feel your headaches are bearable the suggestions below will provide you with ways and choices to pick from to help alleviate your headaches naturally.
What you can do to alleviate headaches naturally:
- Eat regularly
- Don’t let more than 4 hours lapse between meals
- Watch blood sugar levels
- Eat carbohydrates with a low to moderate glycemic index (GI) such as pasta, new potatoes and whole-grain breads
- Stay well hydrated – drink 6-8 cups of water daily
- Limit caffeine – tea, cola, coffee and chocolate
- Avoid cheeses such as Brie, Stilton and Cheddar
- Avoid olives, avocados, nuts, chocolate and citrus fruits
- Limit alcohol consumption especially red wine and champagne
- Avoid processed, nitrite-based and foods containing (MSG) monosodium glutamate
- Stay clear of artificial sweeteners and aspartame
- Eat oatmeal or bran flakes with low-fat milk
- Enjoy a little fruit with or in-between meals
- Drink herbal or fruit teas, fruit smoothies, juice or water
- Abstain from smoking
- Exercise regularly
- Get a minimum of 30 minutes of fresh air at least five times a week
Home headache remedy treatments:
- Apply cold compresses with 1-2 drops of peppermint oil to the painful areas for 15 minutes.
- Prepare a potato poultice by cutting 2 large potatoes with skins on. Boil until tender. Mash up and squeeze out excess moisture from the potato pulp. Wrap warm potato mash in a cloth and apply to back of the neck for 15 minutes.
- Try a horseradish poultice. Finely grate some horseradish and add a little bit of water to it till it makes a paste. Wrap the paste in a cloth and apply to the back of the neck for only 5 minutes. (If your skin is sensitive rub lotion on the back of your neck before applying the horseradish poultice.)
- Eliminate harsh lights
- Eliminate loud noises
- Think of relaxation techniques to do such as yoga
- Try acupressure by using your thumb and index finger and press against the bridge of your nose as close to the corners of your eyes for relief.
- Rub the fleshy webbing area of your hand in-between your index finger and thumb.
- Soak your feet in a hot foot-bath for 5 minutes, then cool them with down with cold water until the foot-bath water is lukewarm. Dry your feet, put on wool socks and lie down for 20 minutes.
- Try herbal supplements such as Kava Kava, Feverfew and Ginkgo Biloba.
Have you been able to alleviate your headaches or headache frequency with these natural and easy remedies?
© 2013 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
Never miss another news or health story again! Subscribe to Beverly Mucha @ Healthy Living Examiner and receive a free notification every time something new is published.
More reading topics from this author: