1. Life
  2. Religion & Spirituality
  3. Western Religions

What won't you give up

Ever notice when something just keeps popping up in different places from different sources? That has happened recently regarding worldly possessions. First, it was the audio Bible I was listening to in my car. And then my Bible Study.

McKinney gave away free audio Bibles of the New Testament back in January as part of their challenge to read the Bible in 40 days. Listening to this, Matthew chapter 6 caught my attention. Verses 19-24 tell about Jesus’ advice to not have treasures on earth. Not only are they temporary but someone else can take them from you. Instead, store your treasure in Heaven where they are eternal. Verse 21 especially caught my attention: “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”

Our Bible Study has been over the book, Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow. Chapter 6 is titled ‘Never enough’. The issue isn’t having material possessions; the issue is where your heart is. If you were to lose all your belongings and material wealth, would you dwell on any of it? Would it affect your relationship with God?

These questions brought to mind something I had to come to grips with a few years ago. My material possessions aren’t what I dwell on. What I dwell on is food. I used to say that I was not willing to give up my Dr Pepper, ice cream, cheeseburgers and chocolate. It was my only vice as far as I could tell. I’ve never smoked or drank; I’ve never done drugs, been promiscuous, spent money when we didn’t have it or any other vice I could think of. I’m a pretty boring person who likes to follow the rules. I’ve seen what several of those vices could do to a person and I want no part of it. What I was missing was the fact that by my attitude I put food above all else including God. It was a slap in the face when I realized that. Now, my heart attitude is different. I am willing to give it all up and actually have for periods of time. I’ve come to the realization that my having those foods was not the issue (unless you come at it from a health perspective); it was my attitude about it.

I have cut back on the amount of those foods I have but I have not taken them out of my life completely. I would like to think that I could go cold turkey tomorrow without ever looking back. I may not be there yet but if I felt that God was calling me to do it, I would be all over it. I love food but it is not the most important thing in my life.

Is there something in your life that, if you lost it forever, would affect your relationship with God? What are you going to do about it?

Find the Fort Worth Christian Living Examiner on Facebook

Have an opinion, leave a comment below.
Subscribe to get updates when articles are posted.

Comments

• Debbie Gregory 4 years ago

I can honestly say that there is no one thing that I can think of that if lost would affect my relationship with Christ. Not a worldly possession, that is. I am not sure what I would do or how I would react if I lost my son or my husband though...but that is different. I can't comprehend that someone would rather cling to something that they "can't take with them" when they are called home to be with their Lord! That's just incomprehensible to me, completely!

• Debbie Gregory 4 years ago

On an additional note...I have been in a situation where I DID have a struggle giving something up to Him! BUT, it was not a worldly possession...it was control.

• Julia Tidd 4 years ago

Debbie- I believe a lot of people will relate to you on that. Material possessions can be replaced if necessary but people cannot. I've thought about that also. If God called me to sacrifice my daughter or my son as Abraham was called on for Issac, how would I react? I've actually prayed to God with a plea to never test that.
    The normal material possessions are not all that can be treasured to the point of excluding God. We have to examine our individual lives to know what that treasure is in our lives.

• Drew 4 years ago

We have to be very careful on this topic. It isn't just about material possessions or worldly matters, it is about our ENTIRE existence. While it is hard to consider, Christ is speaking about EVERYTHING in our live including people and relationships.
    Many parents put their children on a pedestal or revolve their entire lives around them. This is making your children into an idol and therefore interfering with your relationship with the Trinity. In essence, your treasure is your children not your relationship with with God. The same can be said about your parents/gparents/friends/etc.
    The message here is to give your entire life to Christ and whatever that means. This is called trust and faith in the One we call Father. The results are not our concern only that His will is being accomplished. Very tough I know and I don't accomplish it or come close most days, but that is where I want to be. Complete trust in Him for the betterment of all things, not just mine.

• Julia Tidd 4 years ago

Drew,
    I always enjoy your insights. I'm not sure any of us can say one way or the other how we would react with certainty if we were called to give up a loved one, specifically. I would like to think that if God willed it, I would but there is no way for me to truly know that without going through that.
    I used to marvel at Abraham's faith. I still do but I can understand it better after taking notice of Hebrews 11 where it is elaborated that Abraham put Isaac on the alter with the knowledge that God had specifically promised him his offspring would be as great as the number of stars in the sky. Abraham knew that God would not take back that promise and as such would provide one way or another. He may not have had complete confidence that God would not just make sure he had another son. But it does state that Abraham knew that God could raise the dead. In that promise, Abraham had faith that God would provide for him one way or another.

• Julia Tidd 4 years ago

So far as our treasure going beyond the normal examples, you are right. We may fall prey to gossip, social status or experiences. It is completely individual.