What won't you give up

I no longer put food above God.
I no longer put food above God.
Photo: Julia Tidd

Comments

• Debbie Gregory 5 years ago

I can honestly say that there is no one thing that I can think of that if lost would affect my relationship with Christ. Not a worldly possession, that is. I am not sure what I would do or how I would react if I lost my son or my husband though...but that is different. I can't comprehend that someone would rather cling to something that they "can't take with them" when they are called home to be with their Lord! That's just incomprehensible to me, completely!

• Debbie Gregory 5 years ago

On an additional note...I have been in a situation where I DID have a struggle giving something up to Him! BUT, it was not a worldly possession...it was control.

• Julia Tidd 5 years ago

Debbie- I believe a lot of people will relate to you on that. Material possessions can be replaced if necessary but people cannot. I've thought about that also. If God called me to sacrifice my daughter or my son as Abraham was called on for Issac, how would I react? I've actually prayed to God with a plea to never test that.
    The normal material possessions are not all that can be treasured to the point of excluding God. We have to examine our individual lives to know what that treasure is in our lives.

• Drew 5 years ago

We have to be very careful on this topic. It isn't just about material possessions or worldly matters, it is about our ENTIRE existence. While it is hard to consider, Christ is speaking about EVERYTHING in our live including people and relationships.
    Many parents put their children on a pedestal or revolve their entire lives around them. This is making your children into an idol and therefore interfering with your relationship with the Trinity. In essence, your treasure is your children not your relationship with with God. The same can be said about your parents/gparents/friends/etc.
    The message here is to give your entire life to Christ and whatever that means. This is called trust and faith in the One we call Father. The results are not our concern only that His will is being accomplished. Very tough I know and I don't accomplish it or come close most days, but that is where I want to be. Complete trust in Him for the betterment of all things, not just mine.

• Julia Tidd 5 years ago

Drew,
    I always enjoy your insights. I'm not sure any of us can say one way or the other how we would react with certainty if we were called to give up a loved one, specifically. I would like to think that if God willed it, I would but there is no way for me to truly know that without going through that.
    I used to marvel at Abraham's faith. I still do but I can understand it better after taking notice of Hebrews 11 where it is elaborated that Abraham put Isaac on the alter with the knowledge that God had specifically promised him his offspring would be as great as the number of stars in the sky. Abraham knew that God would not take back that promise and as such would provide one way or another. He may not have had complete confidence that God would not just make sure he had another son. But it does state that Abraham knew that God could raise the dead. In that promise, Abraham had faith that God would provide for him one way or another.

• Julia Tidd 5 years ago

So far as our treasure going beyond the normal examples, you are right. We may fall prey to gossip, social status or experiences. It is completely individual.