As Christmas fast approaches, I find myself staring at the honey pork tenderloin recipe in my recipe box, and I wonder if this recipe that I find so magical could qualify as a traditional Christmas dinner recipe. Even as good as it is, I still ask myself what to make for Christmas dinner, because this recipe isn't exactly roasted leg of lamb or a sweet ham dish, which are some of the traditional recipes served this time of year.
What to Make for Christmas Dinner -- Other Dinner Ideas
- Wow your Christmas dinner guests: 21+ tantalizing holiday dinner recipes to try
- Chocolate cake leftovers? Never! Divine recipes for chocolate Christmas cake
- Deviled eggs make 'eggsceptional' holiday dish: 5 recipes for Christmas
Why You Should Serve Honey Pork Tenderloin at Christmas
I think you can agree that we all want to make the kind of Christmas dinner that make the eyes of children shine and the hearts of our friends glow. While many people will continue to serve a tasty leg of lamb roast, there's something to be said for mixing some new Christmas dinner recipes in with the old.
While you may resist the idea of serving anything but your old standby -- very understandable -- it's exactly the new traditions that we mix in with the old ones that help us form new Christmas memories in our heads. By the mere fact that they stand out. This honey pork tenderloin is just the recipe to do it.
Honey Roasted Pork With Caramelized Bananas: Something Old and Something New
I looks just as beautiful as other meat dishes that you'd serve at your Christmas table, and the honey brings as sweetness to the meat that's reminiscent of the sweet and savory meats that the people in Dickens' novels would eat during the holiday season. But it's served with caramelized bananas and lavender to give it a 21st century Christmas update.
Pork Tenderloin Ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp grape seed oil
- 1¼ lbs. pork loin
- 2 Tbsp salt
- ¾ c. chicken broth (go with low-sodium for extra health benefits)
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp mashed lavender leaves
Honey Sauce Ingredients:
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp diced lavender leaves
- ½ tsp salt
Caramelized Bananas Ingredients:
- ½ Tbsp coconut oil or butter
- 3 sliced large bananas
For the Pork:
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Pour one tablespoon of grape seed oil into a medium-sized skillet on medium-high.
- Salt the pork loin on all sides.
- Sear the pork, allowing it to cook two to three minutes on each side to cook evenly. This should take about eight to twelve minutes.
- Take it from the heat and put it into a baking pan you've lined with foil.
- Pour the chicken stock and scape some of the pork from the bottom of the pan for extra flavor.
- Add in one tablespoon of lavender and two tablespoons of honey.
- Pour this mixture over the pork tenderloin and bake it for up to twelve minutes. The internal temp should be 145 degrees.
- Take it out of the oven, allowing it to sit for five minutes.
For the Honey-Lavender Sauce:
- Mix together three tablespoons of honey, the salt and one tablespoon of the lavender and put into a pan.
- Add in the roasting pan juices, allowing the honey mixture to boil.
- Turn down the heat and let it simmer for five minutes. It should be thickened by the time you're done.
For the Caramelized Bananas:
- Add coconut oil or butter to a skillet, which you've set on medium heat.
- Cook bananas, stirring them occasionally for five to ten minutes, until the slices turn soft and golden brown.
Tips to Serve the Honey Pork Tenderloin Recipe:
- Slice up the pork so that you have 1/2-inch slices.
- Dress your plates with the banana slices and top with the pork.
- Drizzle the honey-lavender sauce onto the pork tenderloin recipe.
- Use lavender for additional garnish and serve.