It's full-blown fall and that means winter will be here before you know it. If you're in the market for a new coat this year, know that the 'rules' for coats have changed. Like the majority of fashion trends, we're entering an anything-goes phase for coats and that means taking a new approach to shopping for a piece that you'll wear daily during the cold weather months.
- Skip black. We know, we know, black is easy to wear and goes with everything but so are a variety of other colors and patterns. Red, purple, emerald and dark brocade or Mod-like prints are also versatile. If you stick with monochromatic looks during the winter (as many of us do), these bold colors and prints can add life to your look and work as an unexpected contrast against the dreary weather days.
- Opt for a flattering fit. When it comes to coats, we tend to be a bit more forgiving than when shopping for a dress or blouse. There's no reason a winter coat has to swallow your shape. You don't want anything constricting, but the style should skim your figure with ease. Fit-and-flare silhouettes are becoming more popular and are now available at various price points including affordable retailers like ASOS and Gap.
- It's all in the details. Alright, so you are determined to buy a black coat. Look for a dark coat with cool details such as toggle closures, crest-encrusted buttons or exposed zippers.
- Look for a coat with a hood. These can be hard to come by, but if you live in extremely cold conditions a coat with a hood can add an extra layer of warmth even if you are wearing a hat. This detail is also growing in popularity and becoming easier to find at a moderate price. An oversized hood adds drama.
- Be sure to leave room to layer. When buying a new coat, you may want to size up. This leaves enough room to layer underneath without feeling constricted once you're bundled up to drive or make your commute.