Weekend one of ACL festival 2013 at Zilker Park was an overall great time. The weather cooperated for the most part, the music was rockin', and the food and beer choices seemed even better this year. For those of you who were not able to attend weekend one, no worries, there is still weekend two ahead of you, assuming you already have your wrist band to the sold-out festival.
Here are some words of advice, helpful tips, and things we learned from weekend one:
- Transportation-There is no parking at Zilker but there are other alternatives. A free shuttle is available. Board at Republic Square at the corner of 4th & Guadalupe streets. The shuttle begins at 11am, and make their final return from the park at 11PM. Be aware of road closures.
Ride your bike but remember to bring your own lock.
Take a pedicab. Some drivers charge a flat fee of $20, while others “suggest” a tip of $5-$10 per person.
Take a cab.
Have a friend or family member drop you off in the area.
- Parking: One Texas Center is providing parking at Barton Springs Road and South 1st Street. Friday it is FREE after 5pm, but Saturday and Sunday are $10 a day.
Palmer Events Center has parking for $10 a day, but this sold out by early afternoon on Saturday, weekend one (fyi, you are able to park in the “Reserved” spots after 5pm on Friday).
Businesses in the area also have parking, i.e. Shady Grove. Expect to pay $20-$30 a day.
- Yes, Time Warner Cable is providing Free Wi-fi, but it doesn’t always work, nor does cell service. If you are going to the festival with a large group, we suggest you make a plan on where to meet if you get lost from each other, and trust us, it can happen. Lesson learned from weekend one.
- Security will check your bag/backpack every time you enter, and will confiscate anything that is not on the approved list of items to bring in. Click here to see the list.
- Bring your ID if you plan on purchasing alcohol. Most drink servers were asking for it.
- Register your wrist band in case your current one gets damaged, plus you have the opportunity to win prizes. Click here to register wristband.
- Bring a collapsible chair on towel/blanket to sit on. This really comes in handy.
- You are only able to bring in two one-liter bottles of manufactured water a day, however, you also have the option to bring an empty aluminum or plastic water bottle, as well as an empty Camlebak, and use the provided free water filling stations.
- Weather: Although it never rained this past Saturday as expected, a cold front did move through and left many attendees cold and unprepared. The weather predicts nice temperatures, but a chance of rain for weekend two. Pack a small hand-held umbrella, raincoat/poncho, rain boots if you desire, etc. Here is hoping that weekend two of ACL does not turn into a “mudfest” like in previous years (see slideshow of pictures).
- Food: there are many different vendors serving food, such as Second Bar + Kitchen, Children of the Kettle Corn, Austin Pizza, etc. There are also gluten-free and vegetarian options. Bring your cash. Most items were under $10.
- ATM is onsite. The lines from weekend one were manageable.
- Portajohns: It’s that one word that we hate to say, but be prepared for long lines. The longer lines were by the bigger stages (i.e. AMD stage). Helpful tip: make your way to the corner portajohns- the lines seemed to be shorter.
To receive an email notification when Jill Wedel posts a new story, click on +subscribe at either the top or bottom of the page. Stay connected with Jill by clicking here.