However, the hours may vary, with many retail stores opening for limited holiday hours. Others, like Walmart Super Centers, will be open 24 hours so you can shop 'til you drop if you aren't suffering from a New Year's Eve party hangover.
Bring your debit card or use the ATM if you like to use cash when you shop. January 1, 2014 is a federal holiday. New Year's Day is a federal holiday, so banks and all U.S. post office locations will be closed. The stock market will be also closed for the holiday.
Here's a list of popular stores that will be open on New Year's Day 2014:
- Barnes & Noble opens at 10 a.m. Most stores close at 9 p.m, some later.
- CVS is open regular business hours. 24-hour stores are obviously open 'round the clock.
- Best Buy: Most stores open at 10 a.m. Closing times vary between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m.
- Big Lots stores open at 9 a.m. and most close at 9 p.m.
- Hobby Lobby will be open from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Macy's will be open regular business (mall) hours in most locations.
- Target will be open regular business hours in most locations.
- Toys R Us: Closed all day on Jan. 1, 2014.
- Walgreens: It's business as usual at 24-hour store locations.
- Walmart: All Super Center stores are open 24 hours a day. Regular Walmart store hours vary by location, but most open at 7 a.m., with some opening at 6 a.m.
Grocery stores like Kroger, Stop & Shop and Albertsons will be open on New Year's Day, but hours vary by store. Call ahead to be sure.
Ready for your next day off already? See a complete list of 2014 Federal Holidays here