What's open and what's closed on New Years Day 2013? Many people are wondering if banks are open or if there is mail delivery on January 1, but even more people are searching for Walmart store hours on New Year's Eve.
Those who are looking for last-minute party supplies will find most Walmart stores open until 8 p.m. on New Year's Eve, with Super Centers open all night long. Walmart will reopen early at 7 a.m. on New Year's Day.
On the first day of the new year, Tuesday, Jan 1, 2013, you will be able to shop at most retailers and supermarkets, but you won't get mail delivery and most banks are closed.
Federal offices, schools, and the stock markets will be closed on New Year's Day, with most people sleeping a little late after watching the 2013 Times Square Ball drop at midnight.
What's open and what's closed on New Year's Day 2013:
- Mail Delivery: There will be no mail delivery in the United States. All U.S. Post Offices are closed on Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2013.
- Banks: For the most part, banks are closed with access only to ATMs and on-line banking. Select supermarket branches may be open. Call ahead to be sure.
- Federal Offices, state and city offices are closed.
- Stock Market is closed.
- Transportation: Buses, trains, subways often run on a holiday schedule. Check with your public transit office to be sure.
- Libraries are typically closed on Federal holidays
- Schools: Most schools are closed. Many children will head back to school on Jan. 2, 2013.
- Retail Stores and restaurants are open on New Year's Day. Holiday hours may apply.
More New Year's Information
- Watch 2013 Times Square Ball drop live online: Happy New Year countdown begins
- New Year's Eve quotes to share before the Times Square Ball drops
- AAA Tipsy Tow phone number for New Year's Eve drunk drivers in select states
- New Years Eve song lyrics: Ring in 2013 with Auld Lang Syne
- Free 2013 New Year's wallpaper, screensavers for PC, Mac, smartphones
- Walmart's New Year's Eve hours: What time do stores close?