Daylight Savings Time (also known as DST) is an annual event that people love to talk about with their friends. Some people get excited to spring forward and set their clocks ahead one hour; meanwhile there is a whole other population who wish to end Daylight Savings Time as soon as possible.
DST is part of what puts the fun into spring and summertime! The longer days mean relaxing in your garden flowerbed in the evening, enjoying supper and drinks on the deck with friends and neighbors or taking nice long walks at the park after supper. So what’s the problem with folks who don’t like DST?
Based on a random survey taken by the Raleigh Etiquette Examiner, here are the top ten reasons people have stated that they are ready to end Daylight Savings Time:
- People really find it annoying to have to change all their manual clocks (watches, car, kitchen appliances, and grandfather clocks)
- The older people get, the harder it is to adjust to that hour change
- Some people feel like they lose that hour several times; especially if they forget to change a clock and mistake the time more than once
- While longer daylight helps farmers work longer days and helps to control energy prices throughout the summer, there is a large population that seems to think that this practice is now antiquated
- It gives some lazy people one more thing to complain about
- When it stays light for so long after people get home from work, they feel pressured to do more things around the house/yard instead of getting comfortable and relaxing for the evening
- When people leave in the morning for work, it’s pitch dark
- When daylight saving time ends, people have to drive home when it’s pitch dark
- It can really mess up a person’s sleep schedule
- For some people, they don’t even have a reason; they just don’t like it and think it should be abolished
So what about you? Does Daylight Savings Time excite you or give you hives? Is there a logistical reason to continue this event or is it outdated?
Don’t be shy; leave your comments below and let us know your thoughts!
Thanks for reading Raleigh Etiquette! Click here to subscribe to this column and you’ll get an email each time a new article is published.
Do you ever wish you had the chance to write articles about things that interest you? Look into Examiner! It’s a great way to make some extra money and it’s a lot of fun. Follow this link and see if it’s right for you!