This second full week of April started out more like April Fool's when it came to hip hop's dynamic duo, Mobb Deep. Many in the rap game give Mobb Deep the title of "Best Hip Hop Duo" of all time; and most people I know give Mobb the credit for holding NYC down during the "shiny suit" stint of hip hop.
Here's a short and simple breakdown of this week's bizarre events.
- Havoc of Mobb Deep's Twitter account mentioned several inflamatory items about Prodigy. I'll just leave it at that.
- Apparently, there is also audio of a recorded phone call of someone that sounds a lot like Havoc saying similar comments to that of his Twitter account.
- Prodigy's allegedly sends Twitter barbs back at Havoc, only to later have his account disabled as well.
- Havoc's Twitter account gets disabled after he claims his phone was stolen at a gas station after a Knicks game.
- N.O.R.E. calls into the Breakfast Club to confirm that it was Havoc on the recorded phone call.
- Havoc makes the rounds to The Breakfast Club on Power 105.1 in NYC, and says his phone was stolen and none of those messages came from him.
I'm not sure who or what to believe. Shouts to The Breakfast Club for providing us with the breakdown and the Havoc interview and his response to this fiasco. #nolupe Angela Yee and Charlamagne the God gives a good breakdown of everything that has taken place.
Who/what do you believe?
Sidenote; I need Complex magazine to do an article on the top 20 ways Twitter has ruined Rap and R&B.
Here's Mobb Deep performing at Baltimore's Soundstage last September. The good old days, I guess.