Do you remember the1967 song by Simon and Garfunkel called “At the Zoo?” (Just for fun, you can hear the song and look at some fun animal pictures below.) It starts with the line “Someone told me it’s all happening at the zoo.” Well, that song comes to mind when looking at the kid’s calendar on the Colorado Springs Pikes Peak Library webpage, except we have to change the words – it’s all happening at the library! Yes, I’ve mentioned this before, but it’s something worth repeating. There are a lot of activities for kids, tweens, and teens at our library.
Events for Tweens and Teens
There is a whole calendar just for tweens, ages 9-12. These include two recurring events, First Fridays for Tweens and the Adventure Book Club for Tweens. Here are a few of the upcoming events:
- Tomorrow, March 19, 2010, the Adventure Book Club for Tweens is meeting. This month they are discussing one of the books in John Flanagan’s Ranger’s Apprentice Series, The Ruins of Gorlan. The Adventure Book Club for Tweens meets every 3rd Friday. (Registration is suggested).
- You can check out my previous article about the Read It Before You See It event on March 26th for How to Train Your Dragon.
- Don’t miss the Read It Before You See It event on April 23rd and April 30th for The Diary of a Wimpy Kid, which is coming to the movie theaters tomorrow (March 19, 2010).
- The Young Rembrandts are hosting a cartoon workshop where tweens can learn how to make their own cartoons on March 26 (registration is required).
- There are writers groups for tweens or older teens that meets on Saturdays. Older teens meet on odd Saturdays and tweens meet on even Saturdays. If you have a young writer in the family, this would be a great experience.
Events for Younger Kids
- There are numerous storytimes for younger children. Check out the calendar and see which ones fit into your schedule.
- Paws to Read is a wonderful program that allows children to read to a friendly dog.
- Snuggle Up Story Time is a special story time for children over 3 years old. Parents are encouraged to attend, and children are encouraged to wear their pajamas.
There are movies shown for families and movies just for teens or tweens. The library has so many activites, clubs and events for your children that it can’t all be listed here—you’ll have to check their calendar. It’s packed with great things!
Simon and Garfunkel: At the Zoo (InkyRose)