The dynamics of unionized workplaces will change at the end of March when Michigan officially becomes a right-to-work state. The law firm f Miller-Canfield wants businesses to know the law does not just apply to unionized workplaces. They have developed a concise seminar that spells out the impact on union and non-union organizations.
“What Does Right-to-Work Mean for Michigan Employers?” will be offered at two locations in Michigan. Eastern Michigan can attend on January 29 at the MSU Management Education Center in Troy, Mich., at 811 W. Square Lake Road. Employers in western Michigan will be able to attend January 31 at the Radisson Plaza Hotel in Kalamazoo at 100 W. Michigan Avenue. Both session run from 8 a.m. until 9:30 a.m.
Discussions topics will include:
- When does the law take effect?
- What employers are covered?
- How does it affect non-union employers?
- Will there be fewer organizational campaigns?
- Are unions done?
- How does this affect existing labor agreements?
- If we have a union do we still have to collect dues? Should we?
- Do we need to change our work rules?
- What do we do if workers are getting harassed for not paying dues?
- Does the union still represent those who don’t pay? If they don’t pay, can they still file grievances?
- What if a majority of our employees don’t pay, is the union gone?
- Our employees don’t seem to understand. Should we try to explain the law to our employees?
- How does this affect my current and future pension plan obligations?
This program has been approved for 1.50 general recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute.
Cost is $25 to attend; prepayment is required. Registration begins at 7:30 a.m. Continental breakfast included. Register online at www.millercanfield.com/events or contact Virginia Herrick at 313.496.7548 or email@example.com.
- Employment Diversity In Michigan , a networking group on Linked In.
- Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20 different categories of culture.
- Cultural Faux Pas is an interesting quiz about marketing mistakes made by others.
- Culture Quizzes allow you to test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.
- Life’ Leadership Lessons by Rick Weaver- 53 anecdotal leadership lessons. Paperback, e-book, Kindle.
Top books for those in leadership