Cats do not always want to eat what is good for them. Many would happily devour their way through a can of tuna or the tasty leftovers from a family meal. Sounds innocent enough but there could be trouble under paw. Get to know major kitty edible no-no’s.
Cats love tuna. Small amounts, fine. Human tuna does not provide a cat’s nutritional requirements. Cat food is formulated for a cat’s needs with additional protein, fatty acids, taurine and vitamins. Occasional snacks won’t hurt, but make sure kitty has room for its own meal. Snacks are not a substitute for real food.
Table scraps are risky. Always read ingredient lists; know what your meal contains. Do not give human food as a treat to your cat if it includes items listed here. Many preservatives are toxic to cats too.
Sorry, adult cats tend to be lactose intolerant. Feeding cheese, yogurt or milk often results in diarrhea and a mess for you to clean up. However some cats can tolerate milk. Remember, higher fat content, lower lactose. Try commercial cat milk, goat or sheep milk as an alternative if kitty insists.
All members of the onion family are toxic to cats. They contain N-propyl disulphide which breaks down a cat’s red blood cells causing anemia. Other dangers include raw potato and tomato. All parts of these plants are toxic and contain Glycoalkaloid Solanine which could cause violent vomiting and diarrhea. Cooked green potatoes remain toxic. On a lesser scale, and only if sufficient is ingested, Persin in avocados may have a similar effect.
Raw foods sometimes carry salmonella or E.coli. Raw fish contains a thiamine destroying enzyme, an essential B vitamin. A deficit could lead to neurological issues. Avidin, found in raw egg white, interferes with absorption of another B vitamin; biotin which could triggering skin problems.
Bones are dangerous. They can splinter, cut and/or block the digestive tract or become lodged in a cat’s throat or mouth. Yeast in raw bread dough, other than swelling potentially dangerously inside a cat’s stomach, ferments producing alcohol which, like liquid alcohol, can lead to poisoning. Two teaspoons of alcohol could put a 5lb cat into a coma; three teaspoons possibly kill it.
Chocolate is not for cats - ever. It contains Theobromine which could be lethal; the darker the chocolate, the more toxic. Large quantities of caffeine may be fatal as well.
Cats are quite expert at finding and devouring things they shouldn’t have. If you think your cat has eaten something harmful immediately call a veterinarian or contact the ASPCA (Animal Poison Control Center); 888 426-4435 for help.