Is Black Friday really worth all the hype, or is it just great marketing? Certainly some items are amazing deals with rock bottom pricing for those early bird Christmas shoppers but in reality many items do not get their lowest prices until much later in the holiday shopping season.
1. Toys - Moms and Dads want to make sure to get their little darlings that something special from Santa for Christmas morning but Black Friday is not the best time for the best deals. Experts say to wait until about two weeks before Christmas to score your best deals. Similarly, you should wait to buy game consoles if they aren't a bundled item with the premium accessories and three or four popular game titles.
2. Christmas decorations - The best deals on these are of course the day after Christmas sales but if you really need new holiday bling for your home, wait until the middle of December.
3. Electronics - Unless you are one of the lucky few to get the $200 HDTV's from Target on Black Friday, you are better off waiting for those deals as well. Particularly if you want a name brand TV, those manufacturers wait a little longer to start discounting their most popular models. The first of the year is actually a better time as the new models will be released in the spring. The same is true for digital cameras, wait until the first of the year if you want one of the more expensive digital SLR models like Sony Nex models.
4. Jewelry and Watches - These shiny baubles catch your eye with their strategic placement in the middle aisles of Macy's and Kohl's but don't fall for it. Spring and summer is the best time to buy.
5. Winter Clothing - The best time to purchase those winter coats and ski jackets is after the holidays in January when the stores begin to clear them out for spring. If you live in Colorado you should always put the "Sniagrab," that's bargains spelled backwards, on your calendar as the best possible deals on winter gear and winter sports equipment.
6. Apple iPad mini - The experts at DealNews warn against purchasing these for Christmas. The current price is $329 and isn't likely to drop much below that for the holidays other than a very special promotion. The full size iPad is on the leaked Target Black Friday ad so your better buy will be a discounted full size iPad 2. More bang for your Apple buck.
7. Winter Accessories - Wait to buy these until the very last days before Christmas as big box stores like Kohl's, Target, Walmart and Macy's tend to overbuy on things like gloves, scarves and hats and will be dropping the prices 50-75 percent the week before Christmas.
You of course may find some of these items on sale at your favorite stores but these have been the trends in the last several Black Friday shopping seasons.
Black Friday Deals & Freebies 2013
- Black Friday and Thanksgiving Day Sale Store Hours
- Stores that are open Thanksgiving Day for Early Bird Shoppers
- Pre Black Friday event at Walmart on iPads, iPods, electronics, Xbox and toys
- Black Friday - Cyber Monday ski and snowboard lift ticket deals
- Black Friday freebies 2013 - Free Coffee from Seattle's Best and Folgers
- Michaels' Black Friday Deals
Subscribe to the Chrissy's Deals - Sales and Deals Examiner above to receive Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Christmas sales into your inbox.